From: forgottenwizard <phrexianreaper@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Minimal Gentoo installation
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 22:43:03
1 On 23:04 Thu 27 Sep , Petar Dimitrijevic wrote:
2 > forgottenwizard wrote:
3 >> On 19:42 Thu 27 Sep , Petar Dimitrijevic wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> Hi ppl,
6 >>>
7 >>> My basic idea is to have chroot-ed environment which will be the full
8 >>> system and then to install separate system with only minimal stuff
9 >>> (without gcc, portage, ...). When I need to update the minimal system I
10 >>> will first update the chrooted one and the emerge the updates onto the
11 >>> new one.
12 >>>
13 >>
14 >> What it sounds like you want is an LFS system. Look at the -B option for
15 >> emerge. That may have some of what you are looking for.
18 > Hm I browsed through emerge man page but I'm unable to find the -B option.
19 > Is this maybe --build option ?
20
21 Yeah. Just something to build the binaries should work.
22
23 >>> I wanted to ask if somebody has done something like this, is something
24 >>> like this possible and are there any wiki's or howto's on this topic.
25 >>> I've tried searching through the handbook and google-ing but had no luck.
26 >>>
27 >>
28 >> I thought about doing this once before, but what is going to make the
29 >> diffrence is how minimal you want the system. Are we talking a kernel +
30 >> [ba|z]sh + coreutils or are we talking a tiny Apache server?
31 >>
32 > Well I want to have couple of variations:
33 > 1. Apache, php, python,
34 > 2. Xorg, python, wxwindows
35 >
36 > So I guess they wouldn't be too small. My expectations are that the fs size
37 > would be <= 256 MB to 400 MB. My target is VIA C3 Nemiah board with 128MB
38 > RAM and 512MB CF Card.
39
40 Nice. Apache I know you could fit into that without a problem, and X
41 should be able to handle that little
42
43 >> If you want the absolute minimal, then I would look some into LFS since
44 >> Gentoo wants to install so much by default (gcc, bash, coreutils, wget,
45 >> ect).
48 > I thought about checking out LFS but Gentoo seemed simpler to try. Also
49 > because of portage the system is easier to upgrade. But if I can't get what
50 > I need I guess I'll try LFS.
51
52 Look up ALFS (Automated Linuc From Scratch). It's a basic system, but if
53 you want something fairly minimal, I'd suggest looking at Portage and
54 the ebuilds you like and see if you couldn't script yourself a small
55 package manager just using wget and maybe doing the compiling by hand
56 (or just running ./configure && make && make install, if you don't want
57 to do anything to minimize the installed packages).
60 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list