From: Petar Dimitrijevic <petar.dimitrijevic@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Minimal Gentoo installation
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 21:21:21
1 forgottenwizard wrote:
2 > On 19:42 Thu 27 Sep , Petar Dimitrijevic wrote:
3 >
4 >> Hi ppl,
5 >>
6 >> My basic idea is to have chroot-ed environment which will be the full
7 >> system and then to install separate system with only minimal stuff (without
8 >> gcc, portage, ...). When I need to update the minimal system I will first
9 >> update the chrooted one and the emerge the updates onto the new one.
12 > What it sounds like you want is an LFS system. Look at the -B option for
13 > emerge. That may have some of what you are looking for.
16 Hm I browsed through emerge man page but I'm unable to find the -B
17 option. Is this maybe --build option ?
18 >> I wanted to ask if somebody has done something like this, is something like
19 >> this possible and are there any wiki's or howto's on this topic. I've tried
20 >> searching through the handbook and google-ing but had no luck.
23 > I thought about doing this once before, but what is going to make the
24 > diffrence is how minimal you want the system. Are we talking a kernel +
25 > [ba|z]sh + coreutils or are we talking a tiny Apache server?
26 >
27 Well I want to have couple of variations:
28 1. Apache, php, python,
29 2. Xorg, python, wxwindows
30
31 So I guess they wouldn't be too small. My expectations are that the fs
32 size would be <= 256 MB to 400 MB. My target is VIA C3 Nemiah board with
33 128MB RAM and 512MB CF Card.
34 > If you want the absolute minimal, then I would look some into LFS since
35 > Gentoo wants to install so much by default (gcc, bash, coreutils, wget,
36 > ect).
39 I thought about checking out LFS but Gentoo seemed simpler to try. Also
40 because of portage the system is easier to upgrade. But if I can't get
41 what I need I guess I'll try LFS.
42 --
43 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list