From: Peter <pete4abw@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: partition resizing question
Date: Fri, 05 May 2006 01:56:38
1 On Thu, 04 May 2006 16:58:13 -0400, Leigh Stewart wrote:
2
3 > I recently decided to resize my reiserfs root partition, used
4 > resize_reiserfs to shrink the filesystem, then used cfdisk to resize the
5 > device. Everything went according to plan, although it was a somewhat
6 > unnerving experience because in order to resize using cfdisk u have to
7 > delete then recreate the partition, which wasn't clearly documented
8 > anywhere... Anyway, now Ive got a problem because my disk at the moment
9 > has 3 primary partitions, 1 boot part., 1 swap part, and one root part.
10 > for gentoo.
11 >
12 > the problem is i cant create a new primary partition which i need to do
13 > if i want to install windows beside gentoo, which i also need to do.
14 >
15 You can have 4 primary partitions. That is not a problem. Unless the last
16 partition begins after the 1024 cylinder boundary. In which case M$ will
17 not be happy.
18
19 > does anyone know if it would be possible to replace my boot and swap
20 > partitions with identically sized logical partitions inside a single
21 > primary partition? has anyone attempted this? it occurs to me that that
22 > would be the simplest solution...
23 >
24 Setting up an extended partition scheme would work fine. However, using
25 cfdisk, you cannot make the conversion without losing data. Because of
26 reiser, even a program like Partition Magic (the best for this sort of
27 manipulation) can't work.
28
29 Given your current setup, here's what I would do. Move swap to the last
30 partition, Linux to 3, M$ to 2, and leave boot. If you use grub, you can
31 program it to boot M$ easily.
32
33 > anyone have any other ideas?
34 >
35 > Yes. Backup. Then Backup. Then Backup again!
36 --
37 Peter
41 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list