From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Wireless DHCP takes over resolv.conf
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2016 20:07:53
1 On 11/07/2016 20:13, Mick wrote:
2 > On Monday 11 Jul 2016 17:31:29 Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >> On 11/07/2016 10:32, Emanuele Rusconi wrote:
4 >>> Wouldn't it be better to just use the same servers for both wired and
5 >>> wireless? It's what I use and it works flawlessly.
6 >>
7 >> It works flawlessly *for you*, but by no means can you consider it
8 >> correct or stable.
9 >>
10 >> There is no guarantee that a wired and wireless network will use the
11 >> same dns caches.
12 >
13 > Yep, furthermore this is a laptop which is taken around the place and plugged
14 > in and out of wired and wireless networks.
17 >> If it happens to work, great, use it. But be aware there will come a day
18 >> when that is no longer true.
19 >
20 > When I get a minute I'll have a look at net-dns/openresolv which Fernando
21 > suggested. I think it will do what want.
24 why don't you go with the dns server addresses supplied by each
25 network's dhcp? Presumably the admin put them their because they work on
26 that network.