From: Philip Webb <purslow@×××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Console vanishes after X server is run
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2006 14:12:21
1 060708 Jim Burwell wrote:
2 > The text console of one of my gentoo boxes does not come back
3 > after the X server exits. The console is there and works fine
4 > up to the point when the X server starts (eg when gdm comes up).
5 > After this, using the key sequences to call up the text vtys,
6 > shutting down gdm, etc, results in a black screen.
7 > The graphics card I have is an old Nvidia GeForce 3
8
9 My back-up machine has an Nvidia card bought in 2001
10 & it shows the opposite behaviour to yours:
11 it refuses to display anything before X starts,
12 but does show the console data after X is stopped.
13 I was never able to find out why & long ago accepted it was defective.
14 It now has Mandriva 2005, as I couldn't see to install Slackware.
15 Your best bet mb simply to buy another card.
19 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb : purslow@××××××××××××××.ca
20 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Centre for Urban & Community Studies
21 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' University of Toronto
22 --
23 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list