From: Thanasis <thanasis@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Martin Vaeth <vaeth@××××××××××××××××××××××××.de>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: eix settings for searching all layman overlays
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 07:37:52
1 on 07/10/2013 09:38 AM Martin Vaeth wrote the following:
2 > Thanasis <thanasis@××××××××××.org> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> So, if I understand correctly, I _don't_ need any settings, and I should
5 >> remove both KEEP_VIRTUALS and REMOTE_DEFAULT, and just use the -R option
6 >
7 > You don't need KEEP_VIRTUALS.
8 > Whether you prefer REMOTE_DEFAULT or not is up to you.
9 >
10 > This has nothing to do with the necessity to call "eix-remote add"
11 > after eix-sync: Otherwise your local portage tree will not get
12 > "pushed" to the remote database /var/cache/eix/remote.eix
13 >
14 > If you do not use REMOTE_DEFAULT, it is only less likely
15 > that you will notice this since you will then see the outdated
16 > local data only if you use -R ;)
19 Martin, I appreciate your help, but I am still confused about the whole
20 <eix> thing.
21 My goal is to be able to query both local and remote data with one
22 command. To this end, what should the simplest configuration settings
23 be, and in relation to those settings, what would the sequence of
24 commands be for updating and then querying?