From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Am I wrong?..
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2009 16:05:06
1 On 1 Oct 2009, at 15:44, Arthur D. wrote:
2 > ...
3 >
4 > I just installed VIM with emerge, and removed nano because I
5 > considered
6 > it to be absolutely unnecessary in my system. Why I need nano? I am
7 > a VIM
8 > fan. And here the troubles begin...
9 > Run "sudo visudo" and you get this:
10 > ~ $ sudo visudo
11 > visudo: no editor found (editor path = /bin/nano)
12 > ~ $ env | grep -i edit
13 > EDITOR=/usr/bin/vim
14
15 You seem to have alienated some responses with your posting manner,
16 but it seems that folks are replying without reading the above.
17
18 Here, as user stroller, `sudo visudo` runs nano. If I `su` to root,
19 then vi is used.
20
21 In both environments `echo $EDITOR` now returns "/usr/bin/vim".
22 (previously user stroller had just "vi" set as editor, but changing it
23 & sourcing .bashrc doesn't make any difference)
24
25 I'm unclear why the user preference of editor seems to be ignored here.
26
27 If I `touch /etc/sudoers.tmp && touch /etc/sudoers.tmp && chmod 777 /
28 etc/sudoers.tmp /etc/sudoers` then `visudo` does indeed seem to use vi.
29
30 So it seems to me that you're right. It appears like maybe when `sudo`
31 detects that it's running `visudo` it does seem to ignore $EDITOR. I,
32 too, disagree with this behaviour. IMO the ebuild ("--with-editor=/bin/
33 nano") take the editor from "/etc/rc.conf", but I'm extremely curious
34 why upstream makes this behaviour, anyway.
35
36 Stroller.