From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Rooted/compromised Gentoo, seeking advice
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2010 22:20:27
1 Mick wrote:
2 > On Monday 09 August 2010 21:25:37 Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> Robert Bridge wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 8:09 PM, Mick<michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
7 >>>
8 >>>> There have been discussions on this list why sudo is a bad idea and sudo
9 >>>> on *any* command is an even worse idea. You might as well be running
10 >>>> everything as root, right?
11 >>>>
12 >>> sudo normally logs the command executed, and the account which
13 >>> executes it, so while not relevant for single user systems, it STILL
14 >>> has benefits over running as root.
15 >>>
16 >>> RobbieAB
17 >>>
18 >> I don't use sudo here but I assume a admin would only know that a nasty
19 >> command has been ran well after it was ran? Basically, after the damage
20 >> has been done, you can go look at the logs and see the mess some hacker
21 >> left behind. For me, that isn't a whole lot of help. You still got
22 >> hacked, you still got to reinstall and check to make sure anything you
23 >> copy over is not infected.
24 >>
25 >> Assuming that they can erase dmesg, /var/log/messages and other log
26 >> files, whose to say the sudo logs aren't deleted too? Then you still
27 >> have no records to look at.
28 >>
29 >> I agree with the other posters tho, re-install from scratch and re-think
30 >> your security setup.
31 >>
32 > That's the problem with any compromise worth its salt, all logs will be
33 > tampered to clear traces of interfering with your system. Monitoring network
34 > traffic from a healthy machine is a good way to establish suspicious activity
35 > on the compromised box and it also helps checking for open ports (nmap, or
36 > netcat) to find out what's happening to the compromised box.
40 Yep, cause when they are in the system, they can do what they want.
41 Once they get root privileges, nothing else matters after that. It's
42 just a matter of the clean up which from what I have always read is a
43 reinstall. It's not good to hear but it's the best way to know for sure
44 you are safe.
45
46 Me tho, I would start from scratch and not even chroot into the old
47 install. I might mount and try to read a log file or copy my world file
48 but that would be about it. I'm not sure I would trust anything else.
49 I just hope this never happens to me. :/
50
51 Dale
52