From: Thierry de Coulon <tcoulon@××××××××.ch>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] installing vmware?
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2008 22:12:18
1 On Thursday 03 April 2008, Mick wrote:
2 >
3 > I am about to try virtualbox on my wifes machine. According to the manual
4 > you can run an existing installation (using raw disk access) but a number
5 > of other problems make this less of a practical solution for me; e.g. you
6 > must shut the VM down before you can dual boot into it normally, you have
7 > to register it in VM afresh, etc. There may be workarounds to the
8 > registration issue though: http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-579333.html
9 >
10 > What I haven't worked out yet is this. Can I create an image from the
11 > original installation and use this with the VM? How do I go about this?
12
13 The problem I've run into with VirtualBox is that network only uses NAT, while
14 VMWare uses bridging. Probably only a question of understanding how to set up
15 NAT - seems easy if you're using DHCP but I use fixed IP's
16
17 Thierry
21 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list