From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] installing vmware?
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2008 21:43:15
1 On Thursday 03 April 2008, luis jure wrote:
2 > El Thu, 03 Apr 2008 01:12:15 +0200
3 >
4 > "b.n." <brullonulla@×××××.com> escribió:
5 > > My experience with vmware itself (I use vmware-player and that known
6 > > website that creates images, I don't remember the url) is a lot
7 > > smoother. However I never tried to run a system already installed on
8 > > another partition.
9 >
10 > that's a good question. does anyone know if vmware-player can run a
11 > system already installed on a different partition?
12 >
13 > > I've never tried Virtualbox, but I heard a lot of praise on it. Can
14 > > it run a system installed on a disk partition?
15 >
16 > i just discovered virtualbox, it looks like an interesting alternative.
17 > has anyone tried it? after reading michael's experience i'm not very
18 > enthusiastic about installing vmware...
19
20 I am about to try virtualbox on my wifes machine. According to the manual you
21 can run an existing installation (using raw disk access) but a number of
22 other problems make this less of a practical solution for me; e.g. you must
23 shut the VM down before you can dual boot into it normally, you have to
24 register it in VM afresh, etc. There may be workarounds to the registration
25 issue though: http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-579333.html
26
27 What I haven't worked out yet is this. Can I create an image from the
28 original installation and use this with the VM? How do I go about this?
29 --
30 Regards,
31 Mick