From: "»Q«" <boxcars@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Firefox-10.0.1 fails to compile on x86
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 03:09:21
1 On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 16:43:11 -0600
2 Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 4:21 PM, Willie WY Wong
5 > <wongwwy@××××××××××.org> wrote:
6 > > Actually, why is it that upstream does not provide 64bit binaries?
7 > > (It always bothers me to see my wife's Windows 7 machines running a
8 > > copy of firefox marked, in parenthesis, 32 bit.)
9 >
10 > They're working on it... They actually have started generating 64-bit
11 > nightly builds for Windows and Linux:
12 > https://nightly.mozilla.org/
13 >
14 > If I had to guess what the hold-up has been:
15 >
16 > User confusion about which version to use (32-bit will work for
17 > everyone, 64-bit won't)
18 > Plugin availability (even Adobe and Sun didn't make 64-bit flash or
19 > java until recently)
20
21 It's mostly that their build people have had more important stuff to
22 deal with for a while, such as adjusting their system to deal with the
23 new-ish release cycle and giving their devs more a more flexible system
24 for building testing binaries. (And there's been almost no clamor from
25 the Windows world for 64-bit builds. For people who are clamoring,
26 there's a third-party build called Waterfox.)
27
28 But I thought they do release 64-bit binaries for Linux. There's a
29 linux-x86_64 directory in their stable release directory,
30 <ftp://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/latest/>.