From: Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Package conflict while trying to emerge chromium
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2015 08:06:25
1 Am Wed, 18 Feb 2015 19:46:58 -0500
2 schrieb "Walter Dnes" <waltdnes@××××××××.org>:
3
4 > On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 09:09:18AM +0100, Marc Joliet wrote
5 > >
6 > > It's not that it doesn't do HTML5 video, I've been using that ever
7 > > since I noticed the "gstreamer" USE flag in December 2012 (/etc in
8 > > git is nice ;)).
9 >
10 > I have the gstreamer flag (and everything except "jit") turned off for
11 > seamonkey. Here's output from "emerge -pv seamonkey" on my machine...
12 >
13 > www-client/seamonkey-2.32 USE="jit -chatzilla -crypt -custom-cflags -custom-optimization -dbus -debug -gmp-autoupdate -gstreamer -ipc -minimal -pulseaudio -roaming (-selinux) -startup-notification -system-cairo -system-icu -system-jpeg -system-libvpx -system-sqlite {-test} -wifi" LINGUAS="-be -ca -cs -de -en_GB -es_AR -es_ES -fi -fr -gl -hu -it -ja -lt -nb_NO -nl -pl -pt_PT -ru -sk -sv_SE -tr -uk -zh_CN -zh_TW" 0 KiB
14
15 Well, AFAIK you only really need gstreamer support for non-free formats (i.e.,
16 MP4, MP3). In fact, perhaps that's why that 1080p video only played in 360p:
17 maybe the 1080p version is only available as an MP4 (youtube-dl could probably
18 verify)?
19
20 Of course, for all I know you don't care about playing non-free formats, and
21 that'd be fine.
22
23 > > It's just that I can't deactivate FlashDisable and expect YouTube
24 > > to default to HTML5 videos yet (see the top of the quoted text above).
25 > >
26 > > FWIW, I *did* try it and still got the undesired behaviour (Youtube
27 > > trying to use Flash).
28 >
29 > I think we're talking past each other here. FlashDisable is irrelavant
30 > to the way I do it. The really important concept is that each profile
31 > is a separate universe unto itself. And you can set totally different
32 > behaviours in each profile. In my Youtube profile, I totally disable
33 > Flash. As far as the web page is concerned, I don't have Flash
34 > installed at all. Like I said above, FlashDisable is irrelavant
35 > to the way I do it. Here's the Seamonkey menu tree; Firefox may be
36 > different.
37 >
38 > Tools ==> Add-ons Manager ==> Plugins (on the left sidebar)
39 >
40 > I select "Shockwave Flash" from the "Plugins" list, and there's a
41 > dropdown menu with 3 choices
42 > * Ask to Activate
43 > * Always Activate
44 > * Never Activate
45 >
46 > I select "Never Activate", and Youtube thinks I don't have Flash
47 > installed, forcing it to go with HTML5 mode.
48
49 Yeah, you're right, we were talking past each other :) .
50
51 (FWIW, that's exactly the same menu tree as in Firefox.)
54 Marc Joliet
55 --
56 "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we
57 don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup