From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Firefox crashes on some www-pages on a newer Gentoo system
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2018 11:48:15
1 On Sunday, 16 September 2018 12:32:53 BST gevisz wrote:
2 > вс, 16 сент. 2018 г. в 11:09, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>:
3 > > Mick wrote:
4 > > > On Sunday, 16 September 2018 08:19:30 BST gevisz wrote:
5 > > >> пт, 7 сент. 2018 г. в 19:05, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>:
6 > > >>> On Friday, 7 September 2018 16:32:40 BST gevisz wrote:
7 > > >>>
8 > > >>> Something else I came across causing FF crashes here, was a bug with
9 > > >>> profile- sync-daemon (recent thread of mine refers). I don't know if
10 > > >>> you
11 > > >>> use psd, but I wasn't aware of this psd bug when you posted about your
12 > > >>> problems. I only mention it now as another thing to check next time
13 > > >>> you
14 > > >>> have FF crashing on you.
15 > > >>
16 > > >> Thank you for additional information.
17 > > >>
18 > > >> I have read in this mailing list (may be it was your thread) that using
19 > > >> profiles in firefox is another source of crashes. So, I do not use
20 > > >> profiles, and now hope that it means that I do not use psd as well. :)
21 > > >
22 > > > Ah! No, they are too different things.
23 > > >
24 > > > I have not read anywhere that the use of multiple user profiles causes
25 > > > FF to crash. Perhaps some addons may do.
26 > > > <<SNIP>>
27 > >
28 > > I have nine Firefox profiles here. Any problems I have had have turned
29 > > out to be a bad add on. Sometimes I turn off auto update and new
30 > > Firefox doesn't like old add on.
31 >
32 > Probably, you meant that problems with old add ons arise when firefox
33 > auto update is turned on. If so, I do agree.
34 >
35 > > It is rare that I have Firefox crash.
36 >
37 > Unfortunately, even a rare Firefox crash has long standing consequences. :(
38 >
39 > > It may get slow at times but it keeps chugging along. Generally I have
40 > > four or five profiles running and sometimes even more. I use different
41 > > profiles for different tasks with different add ons. I've noticed that
42 > > the more add ons one has, the slower it tends to get. I sort of spread
43 > > them out a bit.
44 >
45 > If multiple Firefox profiles do not increase the probability of its crash
46 > any more, than it is a good news because they are really useful.
47 >
48 > Anyway, I still afraid to use them so far.
49
50 I also have more than one profiles, with different/no addons and
51 configurations and have not experienced any crashes on my PC.
54 Regards,
55 Mick