From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] VNC over SSH (VNC session is non-local to SSH)
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 10:31:20
1 On Tuesday 10 October 2006 22:55, Mark Shields wrote:
2
3 > Guys, there's no need to keep replying. Thanks for the help, but I'm able
4 > to do it now (have been for the past 4 e-mails)
5
6 I'm glad you got it sorted Mark.
7
8 A vaguely related but quite O/T question: would you perhaps know why when I
9 select "connect to local ports only" (in the VNC server running on a WinXP
10 box, under the Properties tab Connections) to stop it listening to ports
11 connected to the Internet, I can no longer connect from another WinXP box
12 through ssh port forwarding? No problem connecting to the VNC server from my
13 Gentoo box, or from the WinXP box using Knoppix. The error that comes up on
14 the VNC viewer is something like "the connection was unexpectedly terminated,
15 would you like to try again". Telnet-ing through the forwarded port
16 similarly fails - the telenet session hangs waiting for a response from the
17 server. As soon as I remove the "connect to local ports only" the WinXP VNC
18 viewer connects happily again. Is this a WinXP bug?
19 --
20 Regards,
21 Mick