From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Qt5 - should I worry?
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2016 21:24:46
1 Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Saturday 02 January 2016 15:06:37 Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >
4 >> "half as big again" means "50% larger than".
5 > That is, take the original measure, add one-half of it again and you have
6 > 1.5 x the original.
7 >
8 >> i.e. calculate 50% and add it, making the total 150%.
9 >> It's an English idiom, so don;t try to figure it out from each word,
10 >> just recognize the whole phrase. English is full of that shit.
11 > That's too rude. Rather, I'd say it's rich with all manner of idioms, all of
12 > which are expressive and help to make the point clear. Tough on people new
13 > to the language, but that's life. Numerous invasions and occupations by
14 > foreign peoples have contributed to what we see today.
15 >
16 > In contrast, Americans are set on destroying all this richness, I suppose in
17 > the interest of "simplicity", which introduces either ambiguity or ugliness
18 > instead. They've already practically scrapped four whole verb tenses, and
19 > now adverbs are going the same way.
20 >
21 > Pigs and whistles, indeed.
25 As a American and a person who only speaks English, I'm sometimes
26 stumped too. Sometimes I have to read something twice or struggle to
27 find that word I am needing to use. I suspect I am not alone in this.
28
29 I might add, this is why when I read a email, I try to put the most
30 positive light on it. Sometimes even a native English speaker just
31 doesn't quite get the right thing to come out. Add in spelling errors
32 and such or someone speaking English as a second or even third language
33 and you can really get a mess. Let's not get into those translation
34 thingys either. LOL
35
36 I'll be glad when spell checkers add "thingy" to the list. ;-)
37
38 Dale
39