From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Any experience with swapfiles?
Date: Wed, 02 May 2012 22:04:57
1 On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 4:50 PM, walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 05/02/2012 01:58 PM, Simon wrote:
3 >
4 > <excellent help snipped for brevity>
5 >
6 >> Except for issue pointed out by Paul about hibernation
7 >
8 > That's an interesting point, and the reason for the problem is definitely
9 > not obvious to me.  Anyone know the technical details?
10 >
11 >> As for security, having a swap is less
12 >> secure than having none:  a malicious persion could extract
13 >> information from programs memory which was swapped
14 >
15 > BTW, man mkswap says nothing about proper file permissions for a swapfile.
16 > I'm guessing that only root should be able to read the file?
20 Actually it looks like it may be possible, depending on which method
21 you use for suspending. Here's a kernel document talking about using
22 swap files and swsusp:
23
24 https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/power/swsusp-and-swap-files.txt