From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Need a new server
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2013 11:33:02
1 On 2013-09-14 4:50 AM, Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > http://blog.open-e.com/why-a-hot-spare-hard-disk-is-a-bad-idea/
3 >
4 > "Based on our long years of experience we have learned that during a
5 > RAID rebuild the probability of an additional drive failure is quite
6 > high – a rebuild is stressful on the existing drives."
7
8 This is NOT true on a RAID 10... a rebuild is only stressful on the
9 other drive in the mirrored pair, not the other drives.
10
11 But, it is true for that one drive.
12
13 That said, it would be nice is the auto rebuild could be scripted such
14 that a backup could be triggered and the auto-rebuild queued until the
15 backup was complete.
16
17 But, here is the problem there... a backup will stress the drive almost
18 as much as the rebuild, because all the rebuild does is read/copy the
19 contents of the one drive to the other one (ie, it re-mirrors).
20
21 > Instead, how about a 6-drive RAID 10 array with no hot spare? My
22 > guess is this would mean much greater fault-tolerance both overall and
23 > during the rebuild process (once a new drive is swapped in). That
24 > would mean not only potentially increased uptime but decreased
25 > monitoring responsibility.
26
27 I would still prefer a hot spare to not... in the real world, it has
28 saved me exactly 3 out of 3 times...