From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Need a new server
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2013 11:15:17
1 >> http://blog.open-e.com/why-a-hot-spare-hard-disk-is-a-bad-idea/
2 >>
3 >> "Based on our long years of experience we have learned that during a
4 >> RAID rebuild the probability of an additional drive failure is quite
5 >> high – a rebuild is stressful on the existing drives."
6 >
7 > This is NOT true on a RAID 10... a rebuild is only stressful on the other
8 > drive in the mirrored pair, not the other drives.
9 >
10 > But, it is true for that one drive.
11
12 Why wouldn't it be true of RAID 10? Each drive only has one mirror,
13 so if a drive fails, its only mirror will be stressed by the rebuild
14 won't it?
15
16 > That said, it would be nice is the auto rebuild could be scripted such that
17 > a backup could be triggered and the auto-rebuild queued until the backup was
18 > complete.
19 >
20 > But, here is the problem there... a backup will stress the drive almost as
21 > much as the rebuild, because all the rebuild does is read/copy the contents
22 > of the one drive to the other one (ie, it re-mirrors).
23 >
24 >> Instead, how about a 6-drive RAID 10 array with no hot spare? My
25 >> guess is this would mean much greater fault-tolerance both overall and
26 >> during the rebuild process (once a new drive is swapped in). That
27 >> would mean not only potentially increased uptime but decreased
28 >> monitoring responsibility.
29 >
30 > I would still prefer a hot spare to not... in the real world, it has saved
31 > me exactly 3 out of 3 times...
32
33 You would prefer 4-drive RAID 10 plus a hot spare to 6-drive RAID 10?
34 Isn't 6-drive RAID 10 superior in every way except for cost (1 extra
35 drive)?
36
37 - Grant