From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: xterms --featureRICH --suggestions?
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2014 18:12:35
1 Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin <at> googlemail.com> writes:
4 > you know - I don't give a rat's ass about 'pig' or not, because:
5 > I have enough ram. Ram is cheap. 16gb of DDR 1600 ECC costs what? 160€?
6 > Cheap. zfs eats so much, the amount KDE is using is negligible.
7
8 > At the moment I run one firefox instance with 29 flash heavy windows
9 > 3 instances of konqueror with douzends of tabs.
10 > thunderbird. two hungry java apps. assorted crap. 11GB used.
11
12 I went from duo core AMD systems to FX-8350 with 32 gigs of ram.
13 My bigest adversion/experience with KDE is this. The "genius" that
14 runs that project, could have developed all of those wonderful ideas,
15 but left them "turned off by default". That way, at a pace controlled
16 by the individual user, we could have read, researched and invoked
17 what we wanted, at an individualized pace. In stead evey time I did
18 an upgrade, I spent hours/days of wasted time turning off something
19 I did not even want. Stupid, imho, as myself and many others have
20 permanently left KDE.... KDE=PIG, imho.
21
22 Besides, a new upcoming areas of network security is these bloated desktop
23 apps. It's not even a guaranteed that spending decades of time deploying
24 SeLinux can make a bloated KDE workstation secure, particularly for the
25 myriad of users, imho. YMMV.
28 > But the big 'offender' seems to be: zfs.
29
30 Excellent point. While my documented frustations with the KDE/grub2 et al.
31 issues recently (actually over a year now) in this list, I was experimenting
32 with file systems too, including zfs.
33
34 I've decided to explore btrfs in lieu of zfs. zfs is a bit of
35 "smoke and mirrors" as the the ownership and goals of commercial
36 interest controls over zfs are disturbing to me. The leadership of gentoo do
37 not even intend to integrate it into gentoo-proper, for a variety of
38 reasons. I think it's great as a technology (ZFS), but it's not a shining
39 example of public license owned nor a open collection of devs
40 "with clean hands" imho.
41
42 So I have chosen to pursue btrfs, which some have suggested is now
43 stable enough, as the abysmal current raid systems on ext4 is one of the
44 biggest kludges of all time, imho.
45
46 So, boy do I have ram, aplenty now, and it feels GREAT. It not all due
47 to ditching KDE, but there were many other reasons to ditch kde. You like
48 KDE/GNOME, that s fine. I like LXDE, as it reminds me of decades ago, when
49 the desktop was strictly a user controlled Xcelent adventure.
52 peache and good hunting,
53 James