From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Terminals that work with "compose" key?
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 23:57:52
1 On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 4:24 PM, Grant Edwards <grante@××××.com> wrote:
2 > What a compose key does is temporarily make the _next_ key
3 > struck act like a dead key.
4 >
5 > To enter ô, you strike compose, ^, o. Hitting compose makes
6 > the ^ key temporarily into a dead key.
7
8 It seems like a sensible way of doing things. I can't believe I had
9 never heard of it before!
10
11 > Me neither. I've set up right-ALT as my compose key. [How do
12 > you enter accented or non-latin characters without a compose
13 > key?]
14
15 I've used the US-International layout in KDE (or in Windows XP), where
16 AltGr acts as a modifier, and most characters needed for European
17 languages can be pressed with an easy AltGr-[key], but the compose key
18 seems like it would be easier to remember what does what (assuming you
19 don't have a keyboard with the international layout printed on the
20 keys). For example, AltGr-q makes ä which doesn't make a whole lot of
21 sense unless you've memorized it. KDE and WinXP allow you to easily
22 toggle between layouts, so if I'm in need of some "foreign" characters
23 (doing business in the UK and needing to type £ constantly, for
24 example), I'll just toggle the US-Intl layout off and on. Here is the
25 cheat sheet:
26 http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/22/KB_US-International.svg/800px-KB_US-International.svg.png
27
28 Thanks,