From: Grant Edwards <grante@××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Terminals that work with "compose" key?
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 22:24:48
1 On 2009-02-17, Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > There is a "US-International" layout that makes the right-alt
4 > behave like Alt Gr, and allowing easier entry for non-English
5 > (mostly Spanish) characters. I don't know if US-International
6 > keyboards actually exists or if it's just a virtual layout.
7 > However, even then, it does not behave like the "Compose" key
8 > as described by the Wikipedia article, which makes it sound
9 > like a dead key.
10
11 A dead key and a compose key are related, but not quite the
12 same thing. A dead key is one that when struck doesn't
13 generate a "letter" but instead modifies the "letter" that's
14 generated by the next keystroke. Unlike a modifier like
15 shift/alt/control, a dead key or a compose key is struck and
16 released and then the next key is struck. Some non-English
17 keyboards have deadicated deadkeys for commonly used accents.
18 Dead keys are more-or-less the equivalent of a typewriter key
19 that imprints a glyph onto the paper but doesn't move the
20 platen (or the type-ball, if you want to think like a
21 selectric).
22
23 What a compose key does is temporarily make the _next_ key
24 struck act like a dead key.
25
26 To enter ô, you strike compose, ^, o. Hitting compose makes
27 the ^ key temporarily into a dead key.
28
29 > It's just a modifier, like Shift. It doesn't indicate any
30 > combining of following keystrokes. Maybe it does act like that
31 > for other layouts. It's all news to me, as I've never used any
32 > non-US keyboard. :)
33
34 Me neither. I've set up right-ALT as my compose key. [How do
35 you enter accented or non-latin characters without a compose
36 key?]
37
38 The problem is that it stopped working recently in aterm, and I
39 can't figure out why. In aterm, if I hit compose ^ o, I just
40 get "^o". In urxvt, compose sequences are ignored completely.
41
42 Furthermore, both aterm and urxvt correctly _display_ non-ascii
43 characters that were entered in other applications using
44 compose sequences. You can even paste them into aterm and
45 urxvt. You just can't enter them from the keyboard.
48 Grant Edwards grante Yow! over in west
49 at Philadelphia a puppy is
50 visi.com vomiting ...