From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Terminals that work with "compose" key?
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 22:02:20
1 On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 1:53 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann
2 <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Dienstag 17 Februar 2009, Paul Hartman wrote:
4 >> On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 1:41 PM, Grant Edwards <grante@××××.com> wrote:
5 >> > I noticed that the terminal program I've used for years (aterm)
6 >> > recently stopped working with the "compose" key (for generating
7 >> > accented or "foreign" characters, for example).
8 >> >
9 >> > The compose key still works fine in xjed, emacs, rxvt, mrxvt,
10 >> > xterm, and dozens of GTK and Qt based apps. But, it doesn't
11 >> > work in aterm or urxvt.
12 >> >
13 >> > I'm particularly surprised that it works in rxvt (which has
14 >> > been abandoned for years), but not in in rxvt-unicode (built
15 >> > with iso14755 and unicode3 options enabled) which is actively
16 >> > developed and intended to support internationalization.
17 >> >
18 >> > Does anybody else have problems with the compose key and aterm
19 >> > or urxvt?
20 >>
21 >> I've never owned a keyboard with a "Compose" key, actually I had never
22 >> even heard of it. Wikipedia has some info about how you might go about
23 >> setting it up.
24 >>
25 >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compose_key
26 >>
27 >> Thanks,
28 >> Paul
29 >
30 > of course you have. On your keyboard it is labeled as 'alt gr'
31
32 I don't have AltGr on any keyboard I've ever seen, other than in
33 pictures. US English keyboards don't have any of this "foreign"
34 language support. :) We just have two Alt keys, which both behave
35 identically (they do have different scancodes, though). Here's what it
36 looks like: http://www.cooltoyzph.com/image/US_Keyboard_layout.jpg
37
38 There is a "US-International" layout that makes the right-alt behave
39 like Alt Gr, and allowing easier entry for non-English (mostly
40 Spanish) characters. I don't know if US-International keyboards
41 actually exists or if it's just a virtual layout. However, even then,
42 it does not behave like the "Compose" key as described by the
43 Wikipedia article, which makes it sound like a dead key. It's just a
44 modifier, like Shift. It doesn't indicate any combining of following
45 keystrokes. Maybe it does act like that for other layouts. It's all
46 news to me, as I've never used any non-US keyboard. :)
47
48 Thanks,
49 Paul