From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] php4 vs php5
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 01:43:57
1 Hello,
2
3 I've installed php4 as needed by a package (JFFNMS). Everytime I run
4 a 'emerge -uDp world' It wants to upgrade the php4 to either php5
5 or another form of php4. This gets a little confusing, so I'll try
6 to be very clear. I do not have php5 installed, and I do not want
7 php5 installed on this system. I've tried all sorts of machinations
8 in the /etc/portage dir, without success.
9
10 Here's what I have installed:
11
12 dev-lang/php
13 Available versions: 4.3.11-r5 4.4.1-r3 ~4.4.2 [M]5.0.5-r5 [M]5.1.2
14 Installed: none
15
16 dev-php/mod_php
17 Installed: 4.4.0-r9
18
19 dev-php/php
20 Installed: 4.4.0-r4
23 So I've tried various entries in my /etc/portage/package.mask file to get the
24 system happy. package.mask contains:
25 '>=dev-lang/php-5.0.5'
26
27 Focusing on php, I run 'emerge -pv dev-lang/php'
28 and here is the response.
29
30 These are the packages that I would merge, in order:
31
32 Calculating dependencies ...done!
33 [blocks B ] dev-php/mod_php (is blocking dev-lang/php-4.4.2)
34 [blocks B ] dev-php/php (is blocking dev-lang/php-4.4.2)
35 [ebuild N ] dev-lang/php-4.4.2
36
37 So the question is what do I put in /etc/portage/? file to get
38 the system to accept the older dev-php files and not try to install
39 'dev-lang/php' ?
40
41 I cannot just install 'dev-lang/php' as it is blocked by the (2)
42 dev-php files that I need:
43 dev-php/mod_php and dev-php/php. Of coarse, take what I'm saying
44 with a grain of salt, as I'm describing the symptoms of a php
45 problem without fully understandings what these package name/group
46 changes really mean...(where does one read about what the developers
47 are doing with php and why?).
48 jffnms is the critical package here that is causing the php heartburn.....
49
50 Everythings works, I just want the system to quit asking to upgrade
51 php, everytime I upgrade the rest of the system.
52
53 ideas? What did I miss?
56 James
61 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list