From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] --sync
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2022 20:32:54
1 n952162 wrote:
2 > I've been running gentoo for years now, and every time I go to --sync,
3 > it's really a painful process.
4 >
5 > The process can take *very* before you find out if it succeeded or not.
6 >
7 > I try different repos.conf servers - one works for a while, then
8 > doesn't, then later, the new one doesn't work anymore and the old one
9 > works again.
10 >
11 > I've asked here about it multiple times and get the answers
12 >
13 > - "I don't have a problem"
14 >
15 > - "just change the server"
16 >
17 > - "keep trying"
18 >
19 > It can take several hours before it finally works
20 >
21 > It seems like a time-out problem.  Or maybe a memory problem ... In any
22 > case, it doesn't seem like it ought to be difficult to at least know
23 > what the problem is.
24 >
25 > Or?
30 This wiki page and mirrorselect may help.
31
32 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Mirrorselect
33
34 I think this is the command I use to get the best server to sync with.
35 You may want to make a backup of make.conf first, just in case.
36
37 mirrorselect -D -s4
38
39 One of those should help some unless you have a internet connection
40 problem.  If you have problems with multiple servers, it could be a
41 connection problem and you may figure that out.  It tests by downloading
42 a file.  If it fails on most or all servers, connection problem.  If it
43 works on most, just a bad server(s) most likely.
44
45 Hope that helps.
46
47 Dale