From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Reading the (SSL) traffic with Pale Moon, WAS: from Firefox52: NO pure ALSA? Youtube... Audio: No
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2016 20:29:50
1 On Sun, Dec 18, 2016 at 07:43:47PM +0100, Miroslav Rovis wrote
2
3 > [So I don't understand why you] thought dbus was needed to be disabled
4 > by other means, than the (as yet still) unofficial repo/overlay?)
5 >
6 > Or am I missing something?
7
8 You are looking at the Pale Moon overlay. I did not know about it
9 when I first used Pale Moon. I originally downloaded the official
10 version tarball from http://linux.palemoon.org/ which needs dbus. I
11 built Pale Moon from source with several changes in the mozconfig file.
12 I also built it with gcc 5.4.0 with additional optimization. Gentoo
13 stable currently uses gcc 4.9.3.
14
15 dbus was included in the original code from Firefox before the forking
16 took place for a few reasons...
17
18 * "necko-wifi" for improved geo-location, which you probably do not want.
19 Since Pale Moon is separate from Firefox, they don't have a licence to
20 use Google's wifi database.
21
22 * WebRTC. I don't think it's enabled on the official version
23
24 * "WakeLock". *IF YOU HAVE A SCREENSAVER THAT COMMUNICATES VIA DBUS*
25 then Pale Moon can ask it to temporarily disable screensaving while
26 you are playing a long video.
29 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
30 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications