From: David Haller <gentoo@×××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] necessary use flgas
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2015 16:39:06
1 Hello,
2
3 On Tue, 23 Jun 2015, Neil Bothwick wrote:
4 >On Tue, 23 Jun 2015 16:45:58 +0200, David Haller wrote:
5 >> >You can also start USE with -* in make.conf to turn everything off then
6 >> >set your own choices. This is the ideal setup for those who prefer to
7 >> >spend more time fixing their computer than using it.
8 >
9 >> Hey, I got no printer, had others print about 5 pages for me in ~10
10 >> years. Why would I want cups?
11 >
12 >You do know that only the desktop profiles include cups as a default USE
13 >flag? The one I recommended does not.
14
15 Try compiling icedtea, libreoffice, scribus and whatnot without
16 pulling in cups, no matter the use-flags. And "sabotaging" the ebuild
17 and buildsystem to not use cups leads to failed builds, BT,TriedThat :((
18
19 ATM, I just juggle it around. Install cups/cups-filter/ghostscript
20 with cups-flag, build icedtea/libreoffice/scribus, remove
21 cups/cups-filter, rebuild ghostscript without cups and ignore any
22 dependency errors on cups ;-P I do not care one bit about printing not
23 working, as long as the programs run.
24
25 Speaking of that, is there a gentoo-way, to link _some_ specific libs
26 (cups) statically to a program that won't run without it? I don't care
27 about a 'emerge cups/build program and link statically to cups/unmerge
28 cups' cycle.
29
30 Oh, yes, I did search on gentoo.org and generally, apparently, icedtea
31 just won't build without cups. icedtea-bin also yammers for cups:
32
33 !!! existing preserved libs:
34 >>> package: net-print/cups-2.0.2-r1
35 * - /usr/lib64/libcups.so.2
36 * used by /opt/icedtea-bin-7.2.5.3/jre/lib/amd64/headless/libmawt.so (dev-java/icedtea-bin-7.2.5.3)
37 * used by /opt/icedtea-bin-7.2.5.3/jre/lib/amd64/xawt/libmawt.so (dev-java/icedtea-bin-7.2.5.3)
38 * used by /usr/bin/scribus (app-office/scribus-1.5.0-r1)
39 * used by 2 other files
40
41 As long as programs run, I'll get the big stick ;) Scribus seems to
42 work. Still gotta test the Java stuff ... Moving stuff to a subfolder
43 like ".attic" works nicely though in such cases, also inside
44 */portage/*[1] for ebuilds ;)
45
46 All this is not a problem with gentoo, it's a problem with upstream.
47
48 Why does a GUI (a USER INTERFACE Toolkit fer f*** sake! Not a Printer
49 Interface!) _ALWAYS_ be able to print (if I interpret the AWT right)?
50 That's just dumb. Oh well, not your problem, but I fear the patch to
51 remove the cups dep would be large and tedious at best to maintain
52 which is why the icedtea maintainers gave up on it, as far as I've
53 found. *sigh* Anyway, I still got some questions about JDKs on gentoo,
54 but that's for another day and another thread.
55
56 BTW: I might sound like an ass demanding stuff, it's just that I'm a
57 "old-time" (15+ years) of roll-your-own-package guy, just not
58 really on gentoo thus far. Actually, systemd beyond an init was
59 the point where I said to myself: no way. I've been reading this
60 list for quite a while now (a bit in 2010, then very little, and
61 now quite a lot), and I've already got e.g. you and Neil (just
62 from today) on my "like" list, so to speak, always helpful,
63 patient ... Been doing that kind of support elsewhere for a long
64 time too, so I much appreciate you doing it here and help me with
65 pointers.
66
67 Sorry, I'm having such a go at you, feel free to point me to
68 documentation (even vaguely, just a good search word), to another
69 thread etc. pp. I admit, I haven't searched for [1][2], but the other
70 stuff I did at least a site search on gentoo.org.
71
72 Thanks,
73 -dnh
74
75 PS: I hope I'll soon get into the roll and co-maintain that odd
76 package here or there ;) I've been maintaining packages elsewhere,
77 and ebuild stuff looks quite straightforward, I'm just still
78 running into details a bit too often for my taste.
79
80 [1] speaking of that: I noticed, that when I bork[2] an ebuild in
81 /usr/local/portage, it gets silently(!) ignored and the one from
82 /usr/portage is used. The only indication is the flag on the
83 package e.g. ::gentoo vs. ::local. Only once I move the gentoo
84 ebuilds into e.g. the .attic subfolder, emerge tells me what's
85 actually wrong with my ::local ebuild in /usr/local/portage. Have
86 I overlooked an option of emerge or is that a bug?
87
88 [2] trivial stuff. Using 'foo? ( >=libfoo-1.2.3 )' without adding foo to
89 IUSE, or missing the () around the dep after the useflag... That's
90 those I run into most often so far ;) And emerge even tells you
91 about it once you disable the ::gentoo main portage ;)
94 "Getting a penguin to pee on demand is _messy_." -- Linus Torvalds