From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NIC not detected after Kernel upgrade
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 12:05:37
1 On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 19:59:38 +0900, daid kahl wrote:
2
3 > I'm pretty sure the kernels used for LiveCDs are absolutely huge because
4 > they just assume you have basically every piece of hardware available,
5 > and thus take much longer to boot (comparing a LiveCD on my machine to
6 > my kernel, maybe 4 to 5 times longer).
7
8 The kernel itself isn't that large, all the drivers are compiled as
9 modules and anyneeded for booting are stuffed into an initrd.
10
11 The slow boot times are due to the whole filesystem being stored as a
12 compressed image on a slow medium.
16 Neil Bothwick
17
18 Obscenity is the crutch of inarticulate motherfuckers.