From: daid kahl <daidxor@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NIC not detected after Kernel upgrade
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 10:59:41
2 > I'm inclined to sumbit to the expertise of others when choosing kernel
3 > compilation options, and so I generally boot a recent liveCD and take a copy
4 > of the kernel .config from there (`zcat /proc/config.gz`)
5 >
6 > System Rescue CD uses a kernel of about the same vintage as the one you're
7 > trying to upgrade to. I suggest you boot with it & see if your NIC works. If
8 > so, copy the kernel config & `make oldconfig`.
9 > http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page
10 >
11 > Stroller.
14 I'm pretty sure the kernels used for LiveCDs are absolutely huge because
15 they just assume you have basically every piece of hardware available, and
16 thus take much longer to boot (comparing a LiveCD on my machine to my
17 kernel, maybe 4 to 5 times longer). So, sure this will make your computer
18 work, but it doesn't really seem like a good way to go about things, at
19 least not other than for the first boot and a backup kernel.
20
21 Come to think of it, this sounds like an amazing way to make a backup kernel
22 for when something goes wrong so I don't have to throw in the Live CD
23 (assuming grub is still booting at that point). But not for your primary
24 kernel for daily use.
25
26 ~daid