From: Simon <turner25@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Moving an installed system to RAID10
Date: Sat, 02 May 2009 18:22:52
2 > I know I'll need to change /boot/grub/grub.conf, /etc/fstab and any other
3 > files that refer to my current drive partitions, /dev/sda{1,2,3,4}. I am
4 > concerned whether my current kernel will recognize the /dev/md{1,2,3,4}
5 > arrays on booting, and before switching from the initrd root disk. How can
6 > I
7 > check the parameters and contents of the initrd I'm currently using and/or
8 > generate a new one to permit booting from the RAID disks?
9 >
10 On my eeepc I use raid a lot (i bundle old usb keys together, dont laugh!)
11 I dont use initrd and here is a typical grub line with my raid:
12 (hd0,0)/boot/bzImage-2.6.29.1 root=/dev/md64 delay=10
13
14 The delay is useful to give time to the kernel to recognize my usb keys
15 before loading init.
16 Make sure the partitions are 'fd' type in fdisk (raid autodetect or
17 something like that)
18
19 One important thing: the kernel that gets booted from grub (the bzimage) it
20 is best when it is sitting outside the raid since grub does not support raid
21 (iirc). So, back to my example, (hd0,0) actually is a ext2 (not raid)
22 partition.
23
24 Good luck!