From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: Gentoo <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Harddisk trouble ... or not yet?
Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 03:16:02
1 Hi,
2
3 currently I set up a freshly new gentoo system "from scratch"
4 on another harddisk.
5
6 For that purpose I have two WDC WD10EARS-00Y5B1 (pasted from
7 hdparm -i) harddisk (1TB, advanced format 4096 kb sectors).
8 One harddisk is currently holding the gento system, the other
9 one is intended as a bare plain copy of the other one (a backup
10 while setting up the system).
11
12 With an old KNOPPIX dvd I tried to copy the first hd onto
13 the other one with
14
15 dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=8192
16
17 which gave me a LOT of I/O errors after a short time.
18
19 Still hopeing, that my hardware (motherboard/chipset/bios) and
20 the hd are ok I am trying to figure out, what the reason was
21 for that...
22
23 My motherboard is an Asus AV8.
27 From what kernel version the new advanced format
28 of the hd is fully supported ?
29
30 Are there other reasons -- beside defective hardware -- for
31 the failing dd and how can I fix them ?
36 Thank you very much in advance for any help!
37 best regards
38 mcc
44 Please don't send me any Word- or Powerpoint-Attachments
45 unless it's absolutely neccessary. - Send simply Text.
46 See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html
47 In a world without fences and walls nobody needs gates and windows.