From: PaulNM <gentoo@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NFS and portage tree
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 09:00:22
1 Uwe Thiem wrote:
2 > Too big a thing for A. There is a reason why it doesn't have its own portage
3 > tree. ;-)
4 >
5 > Uwe
6
7 You could also loopback mount a file just for portage, which shrinks the
8 needed space down considerably. I use reiserfs with tail packing to fit
9 the whole tree onto a 260 megabyte file.
10
11 On a test directory in an ext3 partition..
12 du -h portagetest
13 561M portagetest
14
15 Actual portage setup...
16
17 df -h
18 /root/portage.img 260M 248M 13M 96% /usr/portage
19
20 ls -lha /root/portage.img
21 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 260M 2007-11-09 20:03 /root/portage.img
22
23 /etc/fstab entry...
24 /root/portage.img /usr/portage auto loop,noatime,nodev 0 2
25
26 Down to almost half is pretty darn good in my book. Of course, packages
27 and distfiles are kept elsewhere. All my systems are different chosts,
28 so no sharing packages; and I use http-replicator, so no need for
29 distfiles saved on every machine.
30
31 PaulNM
32 --