From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Seagate ST8000NM0065 PMR or SMR plus NAS SAS SATA question
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2020 05:45:25
1 Dale wrote:
2 > Howdy,
3 >
4 > I found a deal.  It's open box but it's a good price.  I've googled to
5 > try to find out if it is PMR or SMR but I can't find anything that says
6 > one way or another.  I did find where it says it has a sustained
7 > throughput of 249MB/Sec which makes me think it is PMR, plus it is a
8 > NAS/SAS drive.  Does anyone know for sure if it is a PMR drive?  It's a
9 > good price at $150 but I'd like to avoid a SMR drive if at all possible.
10 >
11 > Also, I looked at the connector and it looks like a regular SATA
12 > connector for the data and power.  However, it does say it is a SAS
13 > drive.  I thought SAS had a different connector but maybe I'm wrong
14 > about that.  These SAS drives will connect to a regular SATA connector
15 > right?  I'm thinking it will but don't need a $150 doorstop.  :/
16 >
17 > Thanks to anyone who can share some info.  Let's hope that drive isn't
18 > gone before I can find out if it works or not.
19 >
20 > Dale
21 >
22 > :-)  :-)
26 I missed out on previous deal.  I have ran up on a few sites that list
27 PMR and SMR drives.  One site is a look up just to find out if it is SMR
28 or PMR.  I'm not sure how accurate any of these are but it is likely
29 better than nothing.  I did want to share these links just in case they
30 may be helpful to someone else.
31
32 https://issmrdrive.com/
33
34 https://www.ixsystems.com/community/resources/list-of-known-smr-drives.141/
35
36 This next one is Chinese I think.  Thing is, the part that is needed is
37 English, for us English only speakers.
38
39 https://www.jianshu.com/p/51bc72e29138
40
41 I hope some of you will bookmark these and find them useful later on.  I
42 sure do get a lot of help from the folks here.  If anyone else has links
43 like these, it would be nice to share.  Now to go figure out how to tell
44 if a used drive is "shucked" or not.  I don't want to buy one and run
45 into that 3.3V pin problem.  Youtube is waiting.
46
47 Dale
48