From: Nilesh Govindrajan <contact@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Best caching dns server?
Date: Sat, 19 May 2012 12:55:16
1 On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 5:05 PM, Willie Matthews
2 <matthews.willie@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > On 05/19/12 04:13, Nilesh Govindrajan wrote:
6 >> On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 4:29 PM, Adam Carter <adamcarter3@×××××.com> wrote:
7 >>>> Which is the best caching dns server? I'm presently using pdns-recursor,
8 >>>> which is quite good, but doesn't have option to set minimum ttl (doesn't
9 >>>> make sense, but some sites like twitter have ridiculously low ttl of 30s).
10 >>> The load balancing technology will be slow to respond if the TTLs are
11 >>> high, so given that responsive load balancing and timely fail over are
12 >>> good things, it does make sense. IIRC the F5 default is 20 seconds. Be
13 >>> careful if you are going to break DNS, there may be consequences
14 >>> you're not aware of.
15 >>>
16 >> I know that. Just experimenting things, because if I can cache it
17 >> locally, it would be quicker for me.
18 >>
19 >>>> Also, it isn't able to save cached entries to file so that it can be
20 >>>> restored on next boot. Any option?
21 >>>>
22 >>>> I am keeping my box 24x7 on because it serves as dns on my small home wifi,
23 >>>> not acceptable to me, because network is almost off at night (only phone)
24 >>>> and I have my router as secondary dns.
25 >>> Can you re-phrase that? - its hard to understand what the problem is.
26 >>>
27 >> Persistence across multiple boots/reboots.
28 >>
29 >> I found pdnsd which can do that, trying that out now.
30 >>
31 > You should really try changing you DNS server to some faster ones. I was
32 > having this same problem with my ISP or DSL modem with built in router
33 > taking a long time. I changed my DNS servers to Google DNS Servers
34 > (8.8.4.4 and 8.8.8.8) and haven't had a problem.
35 >
36 > My setup is a little different but all in all I would really suggest you
37 > try a DNS server outside of your ISP.
38 >
39 > --
40 >
41 > Willie Matthews
42 > matthews.willie@×××××.com
46 I don't use ISP DNS as such, and I don't have their addresses either.
47 I've been using opendns for ages and added Google as fallback after it
48 was out for public.
49
50 The only advantage of using opendns is phishing protection and other
51 features like botnet/malware protection, about they not returning
52 NXDOMAIN on invalid domains is taken care of by pdnsd's reject option
53 :D
54
55 The problem with opendns is the query time is large from my ISP, so
56 things seem slow.
57
58 I'm now using pdnsd, it has support for round robin load balancing
59 which is the algorithm used for load balancing usually, so websites
60 shouldn't have a problem.
61
62 Also, pdnsd has an option for minimum ttl of records as I wanted and
63 cache persistence over reboots. It's the thing that fits my needs
64 perfectly.
67 Nilesh Govindarajan
68 http://nileshgr.com