From: Willie Matthews <matthews.willie@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Best caching dns server?
Date: Sat, 19 May 2012 11:37:07
1 On 05/19/12 04:13, Nilesh Govindrajan wrote:
2 > On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 4:29 PM, Adam Carter <adamcarter3@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >>> Which is the best caching dns server? I'm presently using pdns-recursor,
4 >>> which is quite good, but doesn't have option to set minimum ttl (doesn't
5 >>> make sense, but some sites like twitter have ridiculously low ttl of 30s).
6 >> The load balancing technology will be slow to respond if the TTLs are
7 >> high, so given that responsive load balancing and timely fail over are
8 >> good things, it does make sense. IIRC the F5 default is 20 seconds. Be
9 >> careful if you are going to break DNS, there may be consequences
10 >> you're not aware of.
11 >>
12 > I know that. Just experimenting things, because if I can cache it
13 > locally, it would be quicker for me.
14 >
15 >>> Also, it isn't able to save cached entries to file so that it can be
16 >>> restored on next boot. Any option?
17 >>>
18 >>> I am keeping my box 24x7 on because it serves as dns on my small home wifi,
19 >>> not acceptable to me, because network is almost off at night (only phone)
20 >>> and I have my router as secondary dns.
21 >> Can you re-phrase that? - its hard to understand what the problem is.
22 >>
23 > Persistence across multiple boots/reboots.
24 >
25 > I found pdnsd which can do that, trying that out now.
26 >
27 You should really try changing you DNS server to some faster ones. I was
28 having this same problem with my ISP or DSL modem with built in router
29 taking a long time. I changed my DNS servers to Google DNS Servers
30 (8.8.4.4 and 8.8.8.8) and haven't had a problem.
31
32 My setup is a little different but all in all I would really suggest you
33 try a DNS server outside of your ISP.
37 Willie Matthews
38 matthews.willie@×××××.com