From: Nilesh Govindrajan <contact@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Best caching dns server?
Date: Sat, 19 May 2012 11:15:18
1 On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 4:29 PM, Adam Carter <adamcarter3@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >> Which is the best caching dns server? I'm presently using pdns-recursor,
3 >> which is quite good, but doesn't have option to set minimum ttl (doesn't
4 >> make sense, but some sites like twitter have ridiculously low ttl of 30s).
5 >
6 > The load balancing technology will be slow to respond if the TTLs are
7 > high, so given that responsive load balancing and timely fail over are
8 > good things, it does make sense. IIRC the F5 default is 20 seconds. Be
9 > careful if you are going to break DNS, there may be consequences
10 > you're not aware of.
13 I know that. Just experimenting things, because if I can cache it
14 locally, it would be quicker for me.
15
16 >> Also, it isn't able to save cached entries to file so that it can be
17 >> restored on next boot. Any option?
18 >>
19 >> I am keeping my box 24x7 on because it serves as dns on my small home wifi,
20 >> not acceptable to me, because network is almost off at night (only phone)
21 >> and I have my router as secondary dns.
22 >
23 > Can you re-phrase that? - its hard to understand what the problem is.
26 Persistence across multiple boots/reboots.
27
28 I found pdnsd which can do that, trying that out now.
31 Nilesh Govindarajan
32 http://nileshgr.com