From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How do I turn my audio up?
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2011 18:57:16
1 On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 2:44 PM, Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de> wrote:
2 > Hi, Alex
3 > On Thu, Nov 03, 2011 at 07:16:53PM +0100, Alex Schuster wrote:
4 >> The ONE in alsamixer? I have at least PCM, Front and CD, another PC
5 >> also has Master. Are you missing some of those? Is a channel muted (you
6 >> see 'MM' inmstead of a volume, use the M key to unmute)? Maybe you have
7 >> to scroll with the right arrow key to see those channels?
8 >
9 > Ah, that was the problem.  There are four effective volume controls in
10 > alsamixer: master, PCM, front, and side.  They seem to multply together
11 > (each in the range 0 to 1).  My "side" was only at ~30/100, the others
12 > being around 80.
13 >
14 > Now they're all set to 93/100, and the volume control on the speakers
15 > works sensibly.
16 >
17 > Why "side"?
18
19 Support for, e.g. 5.1 channel surround sound.
20
21 > What is "PCM"?
22
23 Pulse Code Modulation. A method of encoding audio data digitally. In
24 ALSA, this usually refers to applications' feeding audio data in via
25 purely-software means. (As opposed to via a sound card's onboard
26 input)
29 :wq