From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How do I turn my audio up?
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2011 18:51:06
1 Hi, Alex
2
3 On Thu, Nov 03, 2011 at 07:16:53PM +0100, Alex Schuster wrote:
4 > Alan Mackenzie writes:
5
6 > > On my PC's audio, whilst playing CDs, with all volume settings maxed
7 > > out, the volume can't be said to be louder than "comfortable and
8 > > sensible". In quiet passages, the music gets drowned out by the noise
9 > > of the power supply. I know from plugging in my iPod that the
10 > > loudspeakers are capable of much more.
11
12 > > The three volume controls up at full are (i) the one in aqualung;
13 > > (ii) the one in alsamixer; (iii) the physical control on the right
14 > > speaker.
15
16 > The ONE in alsamixer? I have at least PCM, Front and CD, another PC
17 > also has Master. Are you missing some of those? Is a channel muted (you
18 > see 'MM' inmstead of a volume, use the M key to unmute)? Maybe you have
19 > to scroll with the right arrow key to see those channels?
20
21 Ah, that was the problem. There are four effective volume controls in
22 alsamixer: master, PCM, front, and side. They seem to multply together
23 (each in the range 0 to 1). My "side" was only at ~30/100, the others
24 being around 80.
25
26 Now they're all set to 93/100, and the volume control on the speakers
27 works sensibly.
28
29 Why "side"? What is "PCM"?
30
31 Presumably all these controls are for massive batteries of loudspeakers
32 right, left, centre and behind.
33
34 > Wonko
37 Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).