From: Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: DVI-D / HDMI / VGA adaptors
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2020 01:15:13
1 On 12/14/20 10:55 AM, Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > I ordered a Dell XPS 8940 which arrived in October, but life got in
3 > the way, and I'm only now getting around to setting it up. First thing
4 > I noticed today is that Dell "had the courage to remove the VGA port"
5 > <G>. It has HDMI and Displayport. I've got two monitors for my PCs.
6 > My main one has VGA/DVI/HDMI/Displayport inputs.
7 >
8 > But I want to attach the XPS 8940 to the older monitor, which only has
9 > VGA and DVI-D. I use the older monitor for setup/install and to keep
10 > the "hot backup" machine up-to-date. What are my options? For the main
11 > machine I'll buy an HDMI cable. Are there adapters that'll push HDMI
12 > computer output into a monitor VGA or DVI-D input? That way I can buy
13 > an HDMI cable plus an adaptor, rather than a new monitor. <G>
16 If your old monitor has DVI-D there's a plethora of HDMI to DVI-D cords
17 out there. We use a lot of them where I work.
18
19 Dan