From: Michael Jones <gentoo@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o, peter@××××××××××××.uk, markknecht@×××××.com, lperkins@×××××××.net
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Suggestions for NAS appliance?
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2021 21:19:46
1 On Fri, Nov 12, 2021 at 11:31 AM Laurence Perkins <lperkins@×××××××.net>
2 wrote:
6 > > -----Original Message-----
7 > > From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
8 > > Sent: Friday, November 12, 2021 12:19 AM
9 > > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
10 > > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Suggestions for NAS appliance?
11 > >
12 > > On Thursday, 11 November 2021 22:43:17 GMT Mark Knecht wrote:
13 > > > On Thu, Nov 11, 2021 at 3:21 PM Laurence Perkins
14 > > > <lperkins@×××××××.net>
15 > > wrote:
16 > > > > The genpi64 project is supposedly back up and running, so you can
17 > > > > get newer images that need fewer updates again.
18 > > > >
19 > > > >
20 > > > >
21 > > > > From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
22 > > > > Sent: Wednesday, November 10, 2021 8:06 PM
23 > > > > To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
24 > > > > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Suggestions for NAS appliance?
25 > > >
26 > > > Do you have a better URL than I have?
27 > > >
28 > > > https://github.com/sakaki-/gentoo-on-rpi-64bit
29 > >
30 > > I gogled for 'genpi64 project' and got this: https://github.com/GenPi64
31 > .
32 > >
33 > > --
34 > > Regards,
35 > > Peter.
36 >
37 > Yes, that one. I think the build.dist is the repo you want. I don't know
38 > if they're providing finished images yet or not, but it should at least be
39 > capable of building them for you on something more powerful than the pi
40 > itself.
41 >
42 > LMP
45 I am one of the contributors to the new/reincarnated GenPi64 project.
46
47 The build.dist repository contains our image builder, and you should be
48 able to run it on the raspberry pi itself, or on an x86_64 machine. I
49 recommend using the alpha9 branch of the repository, it has the latest
50 improvements.
51
52 It basically downloads an aarch64 stage3, and chroots into it and runs
53 various configuration commands, including emerge to install new packages.
54
55 The builder doesn't currently setup a distcc cross-compiler for you, but
56 there are patches available for that if you really want to give that a try.
57 It's tricky to set up.
58
59 You might have some trouble with the kernel build, or the final image
60 partition setup, but we're happy to help out if you just open an issue on
61 github.
62
63 We do have hosted images here: https://packages.genpi64.com/ -- be warned,
64 these are not considered high quality yet. But they work well enough for
65 the several people who've reported back to us.
66 and our readme here: https://github.com/GenPi64/gentoo-on-rpi-64bit
67
68 We're actively looking for more contributors. Currently it's just 3 very
69 busy people, so any help is good help.