From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] VMWare Hypervisor - SD vs CF card?
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 16:10:03
1 On 2012-06-22 11:00 AM, Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 7:50 AM, Tanstaafl<tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
3 >> Also, my questions was more just to which cards are considered best/most
4 >> stable - SD or CF...
5
6 > Ultimately they both probably have the same flash chips inside of them
7 > so if your main concern is reliability, I don't think it matters.
8 >
9 > If your concern is performance, CF seems to be used in more
10 > "professional" applications and more high-speed CF cards are readily
11 > available.
12 >
13 > In either case I would suggest avoiding the cheap no-name brands.
14 > Sandisk Extreme Pro is likely the fastest card you can buy (of either
15 > CF or SD form factor), it is available up to 100MB/sec write speeds,
16 > but of course your card reader/host needs to support speeds like that.
17 > Sandisk also routinely has more than 10x the random I/O performance of
18 > most of the other brands which is important when using it on a
19 > computer and not in a linear recording device (photos/video).
20
21 Thanks Paul, that's all pretty much what I'd concluded as well from my
22 research...
23
24 I went with the 4GB SanDisk Ultra though (30MB/s), since these will only
25 be used to boot the VMWare hypervisor (which runs fully in RAM once it
26 is booted)...
27
28 Now I'm looking forward to seeing them in action this weekend... :)