From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] VMWare Hypervisor - SD vs CF card?
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 16:28:01
1 On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 12:08 PM, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On 2012-06-22 11:00 AM, Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 7:50 AM, Tanstaafl<tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
5 >>  wrote:
6 >>
7 >>> Also, my questions was more just to which cards are considered best/most
8 >>> stable - SD or CF...
11 >> Ultimately they both probably have the same flash chips inside of them
12 >> so if your main concern is reliability, I don't think it matters.
13 >>
14 >> If your concern is performance, CF seems to be used in more
15 >> "professional" applications and more high-speed CF cards are readily
16 >> available.
17 >>
18 >> In either case I would suggest avoiding the cheap no-name brands.
19 >> Sandisk Extreme Pro is likely the fastest card you can buy (of either
20 >> CF or SD form factor), it is available up to 100MB/sec write speeds,
21 >> but of course your card reader/host needs to support speeds like that.
22 >> Sandisk also routinely has more than 10x the random I/O performance of
23 >> most of the other brands which is important when using it on a
24 >> computer and not in a linear recording device (photos/video).
27 > Thanks Paul, that's all pretty much what I'd concluded as well from my
28 > research...
29 >
30 > I went with the 4GB SanDisk Ultra though (30MB/s), since these will only be
31 > used to boot the VMWare hypervisor (which runs fully in RAM once it is
32 > booted)...
33 >
34 > Now I'm looking forward to seeing them in action this weekend... :)
35
36 OK, I missed that piece. I presumed there would be writes to the hard disk.
37
38 Any reason you can't have these guys netboot?
42 :wq