From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Crash dumps
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2013 19:40:10
1 On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 1:09 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > With some recent software updates (well, a month's worth...didn't
3 > realize I wasn't syncing on my laptop), X now frequently dies on me.
4 >
5 > As it happens, I've already rebuilt all the software on the system...I
6 > do an emerge -e @world every time there's a gcc update. To my knowledge,
7 > there's no old cruft, no old binaries, nothing for depclean to remove or
8 > revdep-rebuild to fix, etc. etc.
9 >
10 > The next step is to actually inspect the crashes and see what's
11 > happening...but for this to be even remotely convenient, I'd like my
12 > system to start accumulating crash dumps for my inspection. Fortunately,
13 > I have -ggdb in CFLAGS for just such occasions, so I'm not wanting for
14 > symbols...
15 >
16 > Trouble is...I don't remember how to do this. How do I enable crash
17 > dumps, and how do I control where the dump files are dropped?
18
19 You may have already seen it, but this article may lend some clues:
20
21 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/qa/backtraces.xml