From: Adam Carter <adamcarter3@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: old kernels are installed during the upgrade
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2018 22:58:23
2 > And on that note I see that upstream just released 4.14.11 containing
3 > what is widely speculated as a fix for an Intel CPU security
4 > vulnerability. I noticed that it doesn't disable the
5 > performance-impacting setting on AMD CPUs. Though, right now only AMD
6 > could say whether this is necessary (their lkml post suggests it is
7 > not). This is an upstream release - I don't know when Gentoo plans to
8 > release it. I'm sure it will be making the rounds in the various news
9 > sites any day.
12 https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01/02/intel_cpu_design_flaw/
13
14 "The effects are still being benchmarked, however we're looking at a
15 ballpark figure of five to 30 per cent slow down, depending on the task and
16 the processor model. More recent Intel chips have features – specifically,
17 PCID <http://forum.osdev.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29935> – to reduce the
18 performance hit."
19
20 AMD coder's patch to disable the new code (to avoid the performance hit)
21 where he states the issue doesnt exist on AMD processors;
22 https://lkml.org/lkml/2017/12/27/2