From: Valmor de Almeida <val.gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [SOLVED]Re: [gentoo-user] external monitor output during boot
Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 12:08:55
1 On 05/19/2011 01:38 AM, Valmor de Almeida wrote:
2 > On 05/18/2011 09:50 AM, Albert Hopkins wrote:
3 >> On Tue, 2011-05-17 at 22:48 -0400, Valmor de Almeida wrote:
4 >>> Hello,
5 >>>
6 >>> What controls the screen output to an external monitor connected to a
7 >>> laptop during boot or when just using a plain console without an X
8 >>> server running? Before a recent update the output would just
9 >>> automatically go to an external monitor when one is connected. Now it
10 >>> does not; not sure it has anything to do with the openrc migration.
11 >>>
12 >>
13 >> I think it largely depends on the particular hardware config. For my
14 >> laptop it's a BIOS option.
15 >>
16 >> If you are using KMS however it seems to want to drive all outputs with
17 >> a monitor attached.
21 > I neglected to mention that the external monitor is connected through a
22 > dock base. Actually I should test whether the external monitor works as
23 > before by connecting it directly on the vga port on the laptop...
24 >
25 > --
26 > Valmor
27
28 The solution was on the BIOS setting. Using the option: Analog (VGA)
29 shows the boot messages on the external monitor and on the laptop lcd.
30 Also without the external monitor attached, the boot messages show on
31 the laptop lcd when the Analog options is selected. I added the KMS
32 option i915.modeset=1 as a grub boot option but don't know if this helps
33 or not.
36 Valmor