From: gottlieb@×××.edu
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] why does revdep-rebuild object to mounting /var on /mnt/var ?
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 02:02:41
1 On Tue, Sep 10 2013, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > On 10/09/2013 18:57, gottlieb@×××.edu wrote:
4 >
5 >> Alan McKinnon wrote:
6
7 >>> > There's rules of thumb about this that will always work:
8 >>> >
9 >>> > No object in /tmp can be expected to survive successive invocations of
10 >>> > the program that created the object, and never survive a reboot;
11 >>> > No object in /var/tmp can be expected to survive a reboot
12 >>> >
13 >>> > The best place for temp files, ironically, is ~
14 >> I set tmpwatch and wipe_tmp so that files survive in /tmp and /var/tmp
15 >> for a month.
16 >>
17 >> I don't like ~ for temp files since on some, admittedly rare, occasions
18 >> I actually use the gnome gui file manager and don't want a huge ~. I
19 >> have long ago created ~/tmp (also cleaned after a month by tmpwatch) so
20 >> the only problem is breaking the habit of placing short-term files in
21 >> /tmp instead of ~/tmp.
22 >
23 > OK, I get it. I'd write all that temp stuff to /var/tmp so it doesn't
24 > get nuked by something cleverly trying to manage /tmp.
25
26 But A. McKinnon says (above) that an always valid rule of thumb is
27 "No object in /var/tmp can be expected to survive a reboot".
28
29 >> I realize that habit is bad for my (system's) health, but still find it
30 >> hard to break. I shall try again. Perhaps this is very mild form of
31 >> what intelligent smokers feel :-).
32 >
33 > There is no such thing as an intelligent smoker; there are only stupid
34 > smokers :-)
35 >
36 > I'm a two-packs-a-day man myself, I speak from many years experience!
37
38 I promise not to mention it again, but you really should quit.
39
40 I consider one of my contributions to computer architecture is being at
41 least a little influential in getting Per Stenstrom to quit. At the
42 time he was a rising star, who I felt would contribute greatly if he
43 didn't get sick from the cigs. He did quit and has certainly
44 contributed.
45
46 allan