From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] why does revdep-rebuild object to mounting /var on /mnt/var ?
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 07:27:33
1 On 11/09/2013 04:02, gottlieb@×××.edu wrote:
2 > On Tue, Sep 10 2013, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >
4 >> On 10/09/2013 18:57, gottlieb@×××.edu wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> Alan McKinnon wrote:
7 >
8 >>>>> There's rules of thumb about this that will always work:
9 >>>>>
10 >>>>> No object in /tmp can be expected to survive successive invocations of
11 >>>>> the program that created the object, and never survive a reboot;
12 >>>>> No object in /var/tmp can be expected to survive a reboot
13 >>>>>
14 >>>>> The best place for temp files, ironically, is ~
15 >>> I set tmpwatch and wipe_tmp so that files survive in /tmp and /var/tmp
16 >>> for a month.
17 >>>
18 >>> I don't like ~ for temp files since on some, admittedly rare, occasions
19 >>> I actually use the gnome gui file manager and don't want a huge ~. I
20 >>> have long ago created ~/tmp (also cleaned after a month by tmpwatch) so
21 >>> the only problem is breaking the habit of placing short-term files in
22 >>> /tmp instead of ~/tmp.
23 >>
24 >> OK, I get it. I'd write all that temp stuff to /var/tmp so it doesn't
25 >> get nuked by something cleverly trying to manage /tmp.
26 >
27 > But A. McKinnon says (above) that an always valid rule of thumb is
28 > "No object in /var/tmp can be expected to survive a reboot".
31 There's another rule of thumb that's even more applicable:
32
33 "We always do it this way, except when we don't"
34
35 I use this to great effect all the time, usually when I'm determined to
36 get my own way at work. I highly recommend this approach, when used with
37 a good healthy dose of intelligence you can get awesome things done :-)
41 >>> I realize that habit is bad for my (system's) health, but still find it
42 >>> hard to break. I shall try again. Perhaps this is very mild form of
43 >>> what intelligent smokers feel :-).
44 >>
45 >> There is no such thing as an intelligent smoker; there are only stupid
46 >> smokers :-)
47 >>
48 >> I'm a two-packs-a-day man myself, I speak from many years experience!
49 >
50 > I promise not to mention it again, but you really should quit.
51 >
52 > I consider one of my contributions to computer architecture is being at
53 > least a little influential in getting Per Stenstrom to quit. At the
54 > time he was a rising star, who I felt would contribute greatly if he
55 > didn't get sick from the cigs. He did quit and has certainly
56 > contributed.
57
58 You are correct of course, and I have no sensible answer for that :-)
59
60 The one answer I do have is "see earlier comment 8 paragraphs above"
66 Alan McKinnon
67 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com