From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Network printing
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 00:04:05
1 On Tuesday 23 December 2008, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Monday 22 December 2008 18:00:52 BRM wrote:
3 [snip...]
4
5 > I let cups find the printer and I tell it to use the .ppd file I got from
6 > linuxprinting.org. It shows the printer configuration page, where I set A4
7 > paper, then I get a security error saying that I have attempted to
8 > establish a connection with 192.168.2.2 whereas the security certificate
9 > presented belongs to serv.ethnet. Guess what - serv.ethnet is the machine
10 > I'm working on and it has IP address 192.168.2.2. What is going on here? (I
11 > don't get this error when setting up my laser printer; only with this
12 > inkjet.)
13
14 If you are using SSL certificates you must set up the correct domain name,
15 with regards to what the client machines see on the intranet/LAN. Clearly
16 the IP address is not a FQDN and the certificate check fails. So, you want
17 your common name (CN = serv.ethnet or whatever) to be the same with the name
18 that your server is seen by the client in the LAN and this may involve
19 setting up your router to resolve serv.ethnet to 192.168.2.2, or adding an
20 entry in your client's /etc/hosts file to this effect.
21
22 > On printing a test page I get "/usr/libexec/cups/filter/foomatic-rip
23 > failed" and job stopped.
24 >
25 > > On your client systems you add it as an IPP printer as the Network
26 > > Server's CUPS server is the IPP host.
27 >
28 > It would be nice to get that far. At present I can't get anything working
29 > at all without using hplip.
30
31 I am sorry but I have not followed all your previous threads on this subject -
32 from my experience hplip should work straight out of the box. To see what's
33 failing (which could well be related to the http:// ir ipp:// path to the
34 printer being incorrect) you need to increase the verbosity of CUPS in its
35 configuration file and then have a close look at:
36
37 /var/log/cups/access_log
38 /var/log/cups/error_log
39