From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] xdm wont start
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2009 17:41:52
1 Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 10:24 AM, Kevin O'Gorman<kogorman@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >> On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 9:17 AM, Neil Bothwick<neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> On Wed, 8 Jul 2009 09:09:18 -0700, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
7 >>>
8 >>>
9 >>>> /sbin/start-stop-daemon: stat /usr/bin/xdm: No such file or directory
10 >>>>
11 >>> You don't have xdm installed, have you checked /etc/conf.d/xdm?
12 >>>
13 >>>
14 >> I do have xinit, which installs /etc/init.d/xdm. I see no ebuild
15 >> called xdm, so if there's something else I need, please tell me.
16 >>
17 >> Note that the path it's complaining about is something in /usr/bin,
18 >> and that indeed could be the problem.
21 > Oh, and /etc/conf.d/xdm exists:
22 >
23 > kevin@kermod ~ $ cat xdm-090708a
24 > # We always try and start X on a static VT. The various DMs normally default
25 > # to using VT7. If you wish to use the xdm init script, then you should ensure
26 > # that the VT checked is the same VT your DM wants to use. We do this check to
27 > # ensure that you have't accidently configured something to run on the VT
28 > # in your /etc/inittab file so that you don't get a dead keyboard.
29 > CHECKVT=7
30 >
31 > # What display manager do you use ? [ xdm | gdm | kdm | kdm-3.5 |
32 > kdm-4.0 | gpe | entrance ]
33 > # NOTE: If this is set in /etc/rc.conf, that setting will override this one.
34 > # KDE-specific note: kdm-3.5 and kdm-4.0 are just examples. You will find all
35 > # possible versions by looking at the directories in /usr/kde/.
36 > DISPLAYMANAGER="xdm"
37 > kevin@kermod ~ $
38 >
39 > I've tried changing the DISPLAYMANAGER to kde, and I get different
40 > symptoms. This gets complicated, so I'm just reporting here what I
41 > started with.
45 You should not set the DISPLAYMANAGER to kde, it should be kdm. Note
46 the "m" instead of the "e". Setting that to kde will not work but kdm
47 just might.
48
49 Dale
50