From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] xdm wont start
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2009 17:28:17
1 On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 10:24 AM, Kevin O'Gorman<kogorman@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 9:17 AM, Neil Bothwick<neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 >> On Wed, 8 Jul 2009 09:09:18 -0700, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> /sbin/start-stop-daemon: stat /usr/bin/xdm: No such file or directory
6 >>
7 >> You don't have xdm installed, have you checked /etc/conf.d/xdm?
10 > I do have xinit, which installs /etc/init.d/xdm.  I see no ebuild
11 > called xdm, so if there's something else I need, please tell me.
12 >
13 > Note that the path it's complaining about is something in /usr/bin,
14 > and that indeed could be the problem.
15
16 Oh, and /etc/conf.d/xdm exists:
17
18 kevin@kermod ~ $ cat xdm-090708a
19 # We always try and start X on a static VT. The various DMs normally default
20 # to using VT7. If you wish to use the xdm init script, then you should ensure
21 # that the VT checked is the same VT your DM wants to use. We do this check to
22 # ensure that you have't accidently configured something to run on the VT
23 # in your /etc/inittab file so that you don't get a dead keyboard.
24 CHECKVT=7
25
26 # What display manager do you use ? [ xdm | gdm | kdm | kdm-3.5 |
27 kdm-4.0 | gpe | entrance ]
28 # NOTE: If this is set in /etc/rc.conf, that setting will override this one.
29 # KDE-specific note: kdm-3.5 and kdm-4.0 are just examples. You will find all
30 # possible versions by looking at the directories in /usr/kde/.
31 DISPLAYMANAGER="xdm"
32 kevin@kermod ~ $
33
34 I've tried changing the DISPLAYMANAGER to kde, and I get different
35 symptoms. This gets complicated, so I'm just reporting here what I
36 started with.
39 Kevin O'Gorman, PhD