From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Do we have to build gcc with fortran now?
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 20:17:37
1 On Wednesday 22 June 2011 13:13:03 Dale did opine thusly:
2 > Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
3 > > On 06/22/2011 07:58 PM, Dale wrote:
4 > >> [...]
5 > >> Mine never had fortran in it at all. I still don't really know
6 > >> what fortran is.
7 > >
8 > > It's a programming language. You know, C, C++, stuff like that.
9 > > Except that it's a zombie-relict from the 1950's that refuses to
10 > > die because people still programming in it are too lazy to
11 > > learn a proper, more modern language :-P
12 > >
13 > > When you enable the fortran USE flag for GCC, you are telling it
14 > > to compile and install the GNU Fortran compiler. Sometimes USE
15 > > flags can have more dramatic effects than just enabling some
16 > > extra functionality; in this case for example, a whole compiler
17 > > and supporting runtime libraries are built and installed.
18 >
19 > Well he double hockey sticks. That's why gcc compiles faster when
20 > fortran is disabled. :/ Now I know. I wasn't even born in 1950
21 > so I had no clue. Dang, that was when puters were made out of
22 > vacuum tubes. Talk about a old fuddy. lol
23
24 Fortran put Armstrong on the moon.
25
26 NASA wouldn't dare let Windows try that, they take one look at Air
27 Traffic Control or nuclear submarines or Aircraft Carriers or even,
28 god forbid, Airbus's latest and greatest, and know exactly what NOT to
29 do
33 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com